Uniting Vic.Tas CEO Bronwyn Pike has urged the Federal Government to re-commit to a vital funding program for homelessness support services or risk leaving thousands of Victorians in the cold this winter.
The Victorian Government has written to the state’s homelessness organisations warning the Federal Government has opted not to renew its funding as part of the Equal Remuneration Order beyond June 30.
The Equal Remuneration Order was introduced in 2012 to cover social and community workers recognising the sector’s predominantly female workforce had been predominantly lower paid because of their gender.
Ms Pike told The Age that Uniting Vic.Tas stands to lose $1.2 million in ERO funding for homelessness support services in 2021-22.
“(It will mean) people will have to wait longer for services,” Ms Pike said.
“It’ll be more people sleeping on the streets, more mothers who are sleeping with their children in their cars after fleeing family violence.”
Read the full story from The Age here: Homelessness funding: ‘Really worrying’ as groups face $20 million a year funding shortfall (theage.com.au)
To join the campaign calling on the Federal Government to reinstate the funding visit: Email the Federal Government | Don’t Close the Door: Save Homelessness Services (good.do)