Megan is one of the 12,111 Victorians experiencing crisis and homelessness that we supported in the last financial year.
She is the human face of the housing crisis that is leaving thousands of people across Victoria and Tasmania vulnerable, barely surviving and, in many cases, homeless.
As a single mother with four children, Megan struggled to keep up with all her everyday living costs, let alone school-related payments. It was a challenge to find the money for excursions and stationery, and with four children the family felt the pinch four times over.
School expenses, fees, rent and food were simply too much for a single mother to afford. Megan’s greatest fear became a reality when they were evicted and had nowhere to go.
Fortunately we were able to provide immediate emergency relief and food for Megan and her family. We were also able to secure transitional housing for them, providing stability for Megan to get back on her feet and start rebuilding for the future.
There are thousands of families just like Megan’s who need our support – and we will provide it through our homelessness and emergency relief services across Victoria and Tasmania.
But until we address the underlying causes of the crisis that many people are facing, stories like this will keep being told.
Fixing the problem
The housing market is broken. It has caused a chronic shortage of affordable housing. This has created a homelessness crisis that’s reaching record levels.
Fixing the problem requires all of us to get involved. That is why we’ve joined the Everybody’s Home campaign. We’re working with other organisations across Australia to campaign for change we all know is needed and will make a difference for vulnerable people. We’re asking for Federal and State Governments to:
- Increase public housing levels to 10% of all housing stock
- Develop a national housing strategy for more low-cost rental properties to meet the demand for affordable housing
- Provide a better deal for renters to stop unfair rent increases and evictions, and give all renters the security they need
- Give immediate financial relief to Australians by increasing Commonwealth Rent
- Assistance for those struggling just to get by
- Commit to a plan to end homelessness by 2030
- Make home ownership more achievable to reduce pressure on the private rental market.
- Find out more about what we want State Governments to do to fix the housing crisis.
Get involved and make change happen
There are three ways you can make a difference with us.
- Let’s unite our voices and make a change. Join us in signing the Everybody’s Home petition.
- Attend one of our Homelessness Week events. Find an event near you.
- Support our homelessness and crisis services – your donation now will support vulnerable people in our community today.
Where to find support
If you need help with housing or homelessness, call 1800 825 955 (Victoria) or 1800 800 588 (Tasmania) to be connected to a service near you.
If you are experiencing family violence, call 000 if you are in immediate danger, or call 1800 015 188 (Victoria) or 1800 633 937 (Tasmania) to be connected to local services.