Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)

The Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP) is a government-funded program that supports you to remain living independently in your own home.

What support services do we offer?

Uniting Aged and Carer Services play an active role in empowering older people to live enriching lives, while supporting carers to take a break from their caring roles and enjoy the other things in their lives which are important.

Download a copy of our Commonwealth Home Support Program brochure

There are two types of support

Home support

  • Allied health and therapy services
  • Domestic assistance – household jobs like cleaning, clothing washing
  • Home maintenance – minor repairs like changing light bulbs or replacing tap washers
  • Meals and other food services
  • Personal care – help with bathing or showering, dressing, hair care

Community support

  • Social support – social activities (as groups and individuals)
  • Specialised support services e.g. dementia, vision, hearing etc.
  • Transport – help to get out and about for shopping and appointments
  • Quick Response Service – in-home support after a ‘trigger event’ such as an illness or a fall
  • Homeshare – help and companionship 

The range of services offered varies by region so check with the local contacts at Uniting to find out what is available in your local area.

Carer support and respite

You can also access quality respite care so your carer can take a break. Services include:

  • Flexible respite – in-home day/overnight or in the community
  • Cottage respite – overnight/weekend stays in a safe, home-like environment
  • Support for Carers Program – provides respite, counselling and support, transport and wellbeing.

Am I eligible?

A home support assessment conducted by the My Aged Care Regional Assessment Services (RAS) is required to access Government support at home.

You must be aged 65 years or over (or 50 years or older if you are Aboriginal or a Torres Strait Islander) and in need of low-level assistance to remain living independently within your home.

Once you have undertaken the first assessment to establish whether you are eligible, the RAS will determine your care needs and provide access to CHSP services.

Note: Some CHSP programs may not be available to people on a Home Care Package. Please contact Uniting to check what is available to support you.

What will it cost?

Home support is subsided by the Government and supplemented by a small contribution from you.

Other services you might be interested in

Home care packages

Home Care Packages for older people, providing support suited to their level of care needs so they can remain living in their home

Homeshare Program 

We match older people or people with a disability looking for help and companionship with a suitable person – in return for affordable accommodation

Carer services

The Carer Gateway is the Commonwealth Government’s new service for supporting carers across Australia.

Get in touch to find out more about our Aged & Carer services.